June 18, 2011

Lancaster Farm Fresh: Week 5

Ok, here we go, here we go!  The blitz is here!  I'm on a roll!  Week 5 pictures, and go!

Oh, and due to my change in schedule, my friend, L., has stepped up to the plate and taken on the duty of CSA pick-up and picture-taking solo.  Let's give her a hand, she is superly duperly awesome and you're gonna love her pictures.




Full Share

1 Bunch Garlic Scapes from Coyote Run Organics
1 Bag Mixed Lettuce from Elm Tree Organics
1 Bunch White Kohlrabi from Friends Road Organics
1 Pint Strawberries from Hillside Organic Acres
1 Bunch Chioggia (Candy Stripe) Beets from Millwood Springs Organics
1 Bunch Mint Julep from Noble Herbs
1 Bunch Collard Greens from Orchard View Organics
1 Bag Broccoli from Organic Willow Acres
1 Bunch Green Kale from Organic Willow Acres
1 Bag Baby Hakurei Turnips from Autumn Blend Organics
1 Bunch Rhubarb from Little Brook Organics
1 Bunch White Scallions from Railroad Organics

Note: Mint and rhubarb were swapped out for more broccoli and portobello mushroom caps.  L. and I usually opt to swap out herbs, since the bunches are so huge and we're not much for drying them. 

If you remember from last week, the strawberries were not so great.  Unfortunately, we didn't learn our lesson, because the prospect of strawberries is just so darn enticing, and it turned out to be another batch of slightly mushy, a bit sour strawberries.  However, also like last week's, it was an anomaly in an otherwise great share.


This week's surprise were the Chioggia beets.  I didn't look too closely at the share list this week, but I recognized everything that I received from L.  When I saw the beets, I didn't think much of them, but set about to pickle them with the turnips (in the vein of Mediterranean pickles).  Imagine my surprise when I peeled those beets, and found them to be striped pink and white throughout.  It was simply beautiful.  I only wish I had taken a picture of them before pickling them since the color leeched out of them in the pickling process.  If I get another bunch, I'm going to roast them and snap pics for you!

I also have to say, I am absolutely in love with baby Harukei turnips.  If they came with every share, I would not complain a single bit.  They are simply lovely pickled, with a gentle, turnip-y taste, crisp but still tender, and you don't even have to peel them.  The greens can pickled or blanched, and have the same fantastic turnip flavor that isn't overwhelming.  Love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment